For the chermoula
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
Salt and pepper
Zest and juice of 1 small lemon
2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
4 - 5 tablespoons olive oil
Small handful of coriander, chopped
8 fresh sardines, gutted
For the couscous
150ml vegetable stock, hot
100ml boiling water
200g cherry tomatoes
Fresh basil, shredded
100g flaked almonds
1 x lemon, zest and juice
Method: How to make Gordon's grilled sardines with chermoula
1. To make the chermoula, toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a pan over a low heat until fragrant.
2. Tip the toasted seeds into a mortar and add a pinch each of salt and pepper. Grind to a fine powder, then add the lemon zest, garlic and grind the mixture to a paste. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
3. Score the sardines lightly on both sides at 1cm intervals and place in a shallow dish. Spoon half of the chermoula mixture over the fish and rub the marinade into the scored skin. Cover with cling film and leave to marinate.
4. Tip the couscous into a mixing bowl. Add a dash of olive oil and pour over the hot stock and water. Add the raisins here to re-constitute. Cover with cling film and leave for 15 - 20 minutes.
5. Mix the cherry tomatoes and basil in a bowl with salt and pepper. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar, drizzle with olive oil and toss together.
6. Heat a griddle pan until hot. Season the sardines with a little salt and pepper and oil lightly. Place them on the griddle and sear for 3-4 minutes each side, basting with any juices as you go. Spoon over the remaining chermoula and transfer the griddle to the oven for 2-3 minutes. Toast the flaked almonds in a dry frying pan until lightly brown.
7. Fork through the couscous to separate the grains. Add the flaked almonds, lemon zest and juice, a little olive oil and season to taste. Spoon the couscous onto the plate, serve the cherry tomatoes alongside and top with the sardines.
Gordon's grilled sardines with chermoula and couscous recipe