Preparation time less than 30 mins
Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour
175g/6oz Puy lentils
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp olive oil
10 rashers smoked streaky bacon, rind removed, finely chopped
3 shallots, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 small celery sticks, finely chopped
2 large handfuls fresh chanterelle mushrooms, wiped clean
sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
dash red wine vinegar
extra virgin olive oil
small handful fresh parsley, chopped
For the duck
4 wild duck breasts
knob of butter
1. Place the lentils and the bay leaves into a pan and cover with cold water. Bring them to the boil, then drain. Refill the pan with cold water to just above the level of the lentils. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender. Add more water if the level falls below the lentils.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the bacon and fry until just beginning to colour.
3. Add the shallots, carrots, garlic and celery and fry until the vegetables are soft and the shallots are golden-brown.
4. Add the chanterelles and cook for one minute.
5. Drain the cooked lentils, then return to the pan they were cooked in. Add the bacon and mushroom mixture and stir to combine. Season, to taste, with sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Add a dash of red wine vinegar and cook over a low heat for five minutes.
7. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and stir in the chopped parsley.
8. For the duck, using a sharp knife, finely score the skin of duck breasts in parallel lines, then season well with salt.
9. Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the duck breasts skin-side down and place a small plate on top so the breasts stay flat and cook evenly. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until golden-brown, then turn the duck breasts over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the pan and leave to rest for five minutes.
10. To serve, spoon equal portions of the lentils onto four plates. Slice each duck breast and arrange over each portion of lentils.