by Valentine Warner from What to Eat Now
Preparation time less than 30 mins
Cooking time 1 to 2 hours
2 medium raw beetroot
large-flaked sea salt
For the green sauce
handful fresh mint, finely chopped
handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp baby capers, rinsed and drained
½ banana shallot (or 1 ordinary shallot), finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
6 canned anchovy fillets in oil, drained, chopped
½ tsp Dijon mustard
4 tbsp olive oil
½ lemon, juice only
1. Put the beetroot into a large pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside until just cool enough to handle, then carefully rub off the beetroot skins. Discard the skins.
2. Place the mint, parsley, capers, shallot and garlic into a bowl.
3. Add the anchovies and the mustard and mix well.
4. Add the olive oil and the lemon juice sparingly, adding more as required. Mix well and leave to stand.
5. Chop each beetroot into eight equal wedges and place into a bowl. Sprinkle with a little salt and drizzle with the green sauce.
6. Serve immediately.