by Valentine Warner
from What to Eat Now
Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour
For the filling
butter, for greasing
12-15 large ripe plums, stones removed, chopped
½ lemon, juice only
160g/5½oz caster sugar
For the crumble
175g/6oz plain flour, sifted
50g/2oz caster sugar
50g/2oz dark muscovado sugar
100g/3½oz butter, chilled, cut into cubes
100g/3½oz rolled porridge oats
2 lemons, zest only
custard, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/360F/Gas 4.
2. Grease a 30cm/12in square ovenproof dish.
3. Place the plums and lemon juice into the bottom of the dish and sprinkle with the sugar.
4. For the crumble, in a bowl, rub together the flour, caster sugar, muscovado sugar and cold butter cubes. (It is important that the butter is cold, or you will end up making more of a dough than a crumble.) When a crumble has been achieved, add in the oats and lemon zest. Mix well.
5. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the plum mixture in the dish, then bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the topping is golden-brown.
6. To serve, spoon out generous portions into bowls and serve with lashings of custard.