- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 250g dried macaroni
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g girolles, trimmed and cut into even pieces
- 1 sprig of thyme, leaves removed
- 75ml white wine
- 200ml double cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 200g stichelton cheese, or similar eg stilton
- 100g Parmesan
- Handful chives, finely chopped
- 25g butter
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
Method: How to make Gordon's macaroni cheese
1. Add the macaroni to a large pan of boiling salted water with the olive oil and cook for 7-10 minutes until just tender. Drain and rinse under cold water to remove excess starch. Return to the pan and set aside.
2. Melt the oil in a small frying pan. Add the mushrooms and fry until golden brown, add a small knob of butter and the thyme, cook for another minute then season with pepper. Drain the excess oil from the pan and then add the shallots and cook for a further 2 minutes or until softened, deglaze with the wine, reduce by half and set aside
3. Bring the cream to a gentle boil and add it to the mushrooms, add the egg yolks, chives and parmesan, mix well and crumble in two-thirds of the cheese. Add the macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir until everything is fully incorporated. Heat gently for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Season with pepper.
4. Butter the ovenproof dish, and pour in the mixture. Top with some stichelton and parmesan and transfer to a med oven for 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown, remove and leave to stand for 5 minutes or so, then serve.